England - Day 7 - L’Champignon Sauvage


By Andrew (who loves writing about food)


Tuesdays in general are slower days for us. We both still need to work, I have a regular meeting on Tuesdays, and we need to pack up because Wednesdays are travel days. We did, however, have a special lunch planned at a Michelin 2 starred restaurant, L’champignon Sauvage. We arrived as they opened and were served two amuse buche: walnut crackers with creamy blue cheese and squid ink infused sea sponge. The crackers and cheese were good, but very strong. The sponge was very light and had a nice aftertaste of seaweed.


Our starter choices were onion veloute, crab risotto with pollock flakes, or smoked pork jowl with pickled mustard seeds, tomato jelly and baby gem. I had the latter and it was fair. Lija got the soup and it was delicious. The kids each had the risotto and that was also ok.


An amazing bit of wood pigeon
The fish.
Our main choices were plaisce (fish), stuffed rabbit, or wood pigeon. The kids both ordered the plaisce and it was pretty good, but they were not fans. The rabbit was quite good and Lija enjoyed that. Arija said repeatedly that it "was a crime to eat a bunny." I had the wood pigeon and it was absolutely delicious (also a crime, but not as bad as the crime of bunny-eating). The stuff dreams are made of. It was served rare and seared on one side and came with pureed buckwheat and roasted buckwheat and small sprigs of bok choy and scallions. The restaurant also had very good bread. Lija had granary, Arija and I each had a bacon and shallot brioche, and Adam had a mini baguette that resembled a mustache. It looked good, so I had one, too.


Lija and I shared a half bottle of Hacket Shiraz and we also had water. After finishing our bottle of still water, we switched to tap water and that necessitated new glasses. Apparently, the tap water tastes better in a clear glass. The kids were excited by their first experience with the crumber and we told them not to get used to someone refolding their napkins when they got up.


The crime scene
















Dessert was either chocolate biscuit with mint cream and spearmint ice cream or blackberry cheesecake with blackberry sorbet and lemon curd. Lija, Arija, and Adam had the former, I had the latter. Their ice cream and my sorbet was delicious. Their biscuits, apparently, were good, too.
Yum, dessert. Perfect combo of mint and chocolate.


My deconstructed cheesecake




Overall, I would give them 1 star. Lija liked it better and would probably give them 2. The best part of the whole thing was that it only cost 32 pounds per person, plus the wine and water. Totally worth it for the experience, but not to be repeated soon.


Back to the house for us, return the car, figure out dinner and breakfast, call a cab, pack up and get ready for the next stage of our adventure: Scotland!






Lija

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram